good english

to read makes our speaking English good.
Code Name Verity - Elizabeth Wein I don't know what to say without giving anything away, because I loved reading it without knowing much about it. So this will be brief.

I actually debated starting Code Name Verity, because it was due back at the library since someone had requested it, and I didn't want to have to stop halfway through. Needless worry, since I would only put it down very reluctantly... I even held onto it while I watched my Sunday night teevee shows, reading it during commercial breaks.

What can I say without revealing too much? I mean, I think the book's description on GR gives away more than I'd like to have read before I read the novel. Let's try this: Code Name Verity is a YA novel, historical fiction in the World War II flavor. At its heart it's the story of a friendship between two young women -- one a pilot, one a spy -- and it's an epistolary novel, but don't let that scare you off. IT'S GOOD. It has CAPSLOCK! It's an adventure.

And I didn't cry much during the first half, and thought I'd gotten off easy, but then I made up for it during the last half, so I GUESS YOU WIN, WEIN.

Wendy Moore
Homeward Bound: Why Women are Embracing the New Domesticity
Emily Matchar
Help Thanks Wow: Three Essential Prayers
Anne Lamott
The Machinery of Life
David S. Goodsell
The Haunting of Hill House (Stephen King Horror Library)
Shirley Jackson