good english

to read makes our speaking English good.

Informal English: Puncture Ladies, Egg Harbors, Mississippi Marbles, and other Curious Words and Phrases of North America

Informal English: Puncture Ladies, Egg Harbors, Mississippi Marbles, and Other Curious Words and Phrases of North America - Jeffrey Kacirk I'm SO not going to finish this one. I just hate, hate, hate the way Informal English is put together. I wasn't expecting what is, basically, a compilation of a few different lists of regional phrases; I was expecting a more substantial book, more of a conversation.

I might have liked it better if Kacirk had done something interesting rather than a simple alphabetical listing, like . . . I don't know, grouped things by region? Something along those lines.

To add to my irritation, there were a few entries in the first handful of pages that I attempted to straight-read that had what may or may not have been typos. I couldn't tell. For example: the headline for an entry is spelled one way, then in its example sentence it's spelled differently.

Once I decided to skip around in the book, I enjoyed it more, but overall, the format ruins this one for me. Two stars instead of one, since there are some awesome finds in there if you can get past the dictionary approach.

Wendy Moore
Homeward Bound: Why Women are Embracing the New Domesticity
Emily Matchar
Help Thanks Wow: Three Essential Prayers
Anne Lamott
The Machinery of Life
David S. Goodsell
The Haunting of Hill House (Stephen King Horror Library)
Shirley Jackson