good english

to read makes our speaking English good.

Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse, #10)

Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse, #10) - Charlaine Harris As installments in the Sookie Stackhouse series go, Dead in the Family is okay, even if two days later I have difficulty remembering everything that was covered in the book. I'm not sure if that's due to my brain or the fact that there is way too much going on up in here.

While I enjoyed Book 10 enough that I'm not swearing off the series or anything, I was really disappointed with how easily everything gets tied up, and I think the Sookie/Eric relationship is less interesting than it has been in previous books. I definitely could have done without the lengthy play-by-play of Hunter's sleepover. I live with kids, I get enough of that in real life, I'm here to read about SOOKIE'S VAMPIRE ADVENTURES, okay. Annoying although I know it was supposed to be wink-nudge: acknowledging the HBO series by mentioning "Bad Things." Ugh. Oh, and the Romanov thing felt like something out of BtVS fanfic.

It wasn't all bad: I liked Sookie's interactions with her family, and I liked Bill's storyline a lot -- the solution to his illness is a little too convenient, sure, but it worked for me, and I loved the Bellefleur subplot. Despite all my kvetching, it is a decent story. I think the pacing is just a little weird, and too much is being stuffed into this one book and a lot of easily fixable problems slide by in the resultant commotion.

P.S. This is definitely nitpicky but why would a woman who casually drops the word "epicene" only know the word "unbeknownst" because it was on her word-of-the-day calendar?

Wendy Moore
Homeward Bound: Why Women are Embracing the New Domesticity
Emily Matchar
Help Thanks Wow: Three Essential Prayers
Anne Lamott
The Machinery of Life
David S. Goodsell
The Haunting of Hill House (Stephen King Horror Library)
Shirley Jackson