good english

to read makes our speaking English good.

Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely, #1)

Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely, #1) - Melissa Marr Why did I wait so long to review Wicked Lovely? It was not very bright of me to go onto the next book in the series before I reviewed this one, since it's altered my perception of the story.

Obvs I enjoyed Marr's first entry in the Wicked Lovely series enough to keep going. I thought I LOVED it at first, but as time passed and I got a little further away from the story I settled down into just liking it a lot.

Most of the characters in Wicked Lovely are clearly delineated as "good" or "bad," "likeable" or "unlikeable." The exception is Keenan, whom I'm pretty sure we're supposed to like -- but he's a jerk. Aislinn is a strong, smart heroine for the most part, and her human love interest is written to be 100% catnip, to the point where he's almost one-dimensional but so thoughtful and sweet compared to Keenan that I don't care.

I did have some issues with major events occurring and just being sort of dropped into the story -- no biggie, just someone's life changed forever, didn't think to mention that til now, we'll just emo for a sentence or two and then we're over it. There are also a few little asides that are clearly set-ups for other parts of the series; they jar a bit.

For the most part, though, I enjoyed the hell out of this story, and I'm planning on finishing the series.

p.s. I can't be the only one who crosses her fingers and googles these authors to make sure they're not BFFs with Cassie Claire.

Wendy Moore
Homeward Bound: Why Women are Embracing the New Domesticity
Emily Matchar
Help Thanks Wow: Three Essential Prayers
Anne Lamott
The Machinery of Life
David S. Goodsell
The Haunting of Hill House (Stephen King Horror Library)
Shirley Jackson