good english

to read makes our speaking English good.

The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2)

The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2) - Rae Carson Once again: not objective. The books that make up the "Fire and Thorns" series would be filed away on a bookshelf called "KAREN'S WEAKNESSES AND COMFORT READS" if such a bookshelf existed.

So, obviously I like the world Carson's built. There are some minor problems -- I mean, Elisa's first real love interest was HER KIDNAPPER in the first book. But even then, it was easy to tell that Hector was being set up as the long-haul Dude to Love, and just in case you couldn't deduce that from the hints in The Girl of Fire and Thorns, Carson spends a LOT of time discussing how young he looks in the beginning of The Crown of Embers. It's okay, I'd be Team That Dude anyway because he's been written to be the perfect guy for Elisa. IT'S ALMOST LIKE CARSON HAD A PLAN.

I feel like the characters are a bit flat sometimes, and there are spots of dialogue or internal monologue every now and then that make me roll my eyes (like when Elisa says a little prayer that the child of an acquaintance will be "charming and slender and beautiful"), but I really dig the overall plot and the world and the way that the politics of running a kingdom are woven into the story -- so most of the time, I probably didn't even notice things that might normally give me pause.

While it is always irritating to have to wait to finish a trilogy, I think this one's worth it. I guess there's always the possibility that Carson will blow it in the third book, but I like the way it's looking from here.

Wendy Moore
Homeward Bound: Why Women are Embracing the New Domesticity
Emily Matchar
Help Thanks Wow: Three Essential Prayers
Anne Lamott
The Machinery of Life
David S. Goodsell
The Haunting of Hill House (Stephen King Horror Library)
Shirley Jackson