good english

to read makes our speaking English good.
Emily - Candice F. Ransom I really want to give this three-and-a-half stars, but I can't figure out how to do that here, ha.

My "youth romances" growing up were Janette Okes and other things you could find in the local Logos Bookstore. I can't lie, I really enjoyed them even though they were not Grate Literchur. If I had been allowed to read secular youth romances, these would have been right up my alley. Historical fiction with nice predictable plots and generally tame but warm-hearted Life Lessons. These seem to be like comfort food, not high-quality comfort food, more like those mashed potatoes that come in a box.

I mean, I am getting that all from this one book, but since this is the eleventh in the Sunfire series, I'm pretty sure it's got the standard formula down.

Emily is a snotty turn-of-the-(20th)-century brat who decides she is bored with her life and she wants to DO SOMETHING, so she does. Her parents do not approve, of course. While rebelling, she falls in love with a boy who is totally Wrong For Her. (Of course.) For the rest of the book, she is at war with her parents and her HORRIBLY UNHELPFUL EMOTIONS. There's also a fake love triangle thrown in there, and an irredeemable cousin whom I wanted to smack probably a dozen times. Oh, also, the cover art SUCKS and reminds me of those little figures that come with cheap Christmas Village sets.

Needless to say, I will be seeking out more Sunfires.

Wendy Moore
Homeward Bound: Why Women are Embracing the New Domesticity
Emily Matchar
Help Thanks Wow: Three Essential Prayers
Anne Lamott
The Machinery of Life
David S. Goodsell
The Haunting of Hill House (Stephen King Horror Library)
Shirley Jackson