good english

to read makes our speaking English good.
The Tower Room - Adèle Geras, Adèle Geras I read all three of the Egerton Hall novels Saturday. They are that short, and they were that easy to read.

"The Tower Room" is a Adéle Geras's retelling of Rapunzel, set in the early sixties in an English boarding school. All three of the novels in this series are tied together, as the three heroines are friends and classmates.

My favorite part of reading various interpretations of fairy tales is finding the well-known pieces of each classic story strewn throughout the new version. I like it better when they're subtle, because it makes me feel smart, heh. They are definitely not subtle in Geras's reworkings, but the read was still enjoyable enough.

It's hard to review one book in the series and not review all of them at once, as they are intertwined in several ways, but "The Tower Room" was probably my least favorite of the three. I think a lot of that had to do with the fact that all the background for the series was set up in this book, which slowed it down quite a bit.

Also, I was hoping the "love at first sight" bit in "The Tower Room" would be an isolated incident, because it just seemed dumb, but no, it repeats itself in all three books. (Is that a spoiler?)

Anyway, yeah, it's a retelling that's a bit ham-fisted and probably better suited for younger readers, but it's likeable enough that I finished it in a couple of hours and moved straight into the next book in the series.

Wendy Moore
Homeward Bound: Why Women are Embracing the New Domesticity
Emily Matchar
Help Thanks Wow: Three Essential Prayers
Anne Lamott
The Machinery of Life
David S. Goodsell
The Haunting of Hill House (Stephen King Horror Library)
Shirley Jackson