good english

to read makes our speaking English good.
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - Seth Grahame-Smith Bias warning: I enjoy cheesy vampire fiction. Just wanted to note that. Now that that's out of the way, I'd say Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter was a good read, better than I expected given my preconceptions of the "[Previously Established Literature] Plus [Supernatural Phenomenon]" genre. The death and (moderate) gore got to me sometimes, but it is a book about vampires. I enjoyed the writing and the way the fantasy wrapped around the framework of history, and the story kept me going.

The negatives are small: there was a section of the story that was written in the narrower font style that the "journal entries" were written in, although the section wasn't a journal entry -- it's just an editing error that was probably corrected in the paperback version, but it was very confusing for a couple of minutes.

I also wish there had been a bit of an afterword or something to wrap up the "discovery" story that Grahame-Smith used as a set-up in the beginning of the book. It seemed strange that we got all that backstory and the book was just OVER once the journals were done.

Wendy Moore
Homeward Bound: Why Women are Embracing the New Domesticity
Emily Matchar
Help Thanks Wow: Three Essential Prayers
Anne Lamott
The Machinery of Life
David S. Goodsell
The Haunting of Hill House (Stephen King Horror Library)
Shirley Jackson