good english

to read makes our speaking English good.
Round Ireland with a Fridge - Tony Hawks Tony Hawks took on a bet and set out to hitchhike around the perimeter of Ireland, with a small fridge in tow, in less than one month. As an aside, I'll never understand how people who write this sort of book remember all the details -- even with a journal, I'd still get confused and mix up who/what/where.

The big draw of Round Ireland with a Fridge is the humor, no doubt. I laughed out loud a few times -- mostly in the beginning -- and Hawks is good at entertaining the reader, even when describing potentially boring things like waiting for a ride. Some of the references used in the book seem outdated now, but it has been thirteen years since Hawks took his trip, so I guess that's not too shocking.

Also, I learned a few things about the politics and geography of Ireland that I hadn't know before; that was a nice bonus and knocked it up half a star for me.

(three-and-a-half stars)

Wendy Moore
Homeward Bound: Why Women are Embracing the New Domesticity
Emily Matchar
Help Thanks Wow: Three Essential Prayers
Anne Lamott
The Machinery of Life
David S. Goodsell
The Haunting of Hill House (Stephen King Horror Library)
Shirley Jackson