good english

to read makes our speaking English good.
Jellicoe Road - Melina Marchetta I don't know! I don't know what to say about this one. I loved it so much that I don't want to talk about it.

I'll try, okay. I'm in the middle of another book, but I picked Jellicoe Road up last Wednesday and read the first handful of pages and couldn't stop thinking about it so I found ways to "have to sit down" to rip through the whole thing Sunday. The baby won't take a nap in her crib? What a shame, guess I'll have to sit with her, maybe read a book. Oh, I have to do laundry? So sad! Maybe I can just prop my book on the bed and hold the pages down with the teevee remote and read while I fold?

It's a coming-of-age story, and there's a story within the story, and I had so much fun unraveling it as I read along, and everything was just THE BEST, and I'm going to be reading Marchetta's other books soon. I mean, OBJECTIVELY I know it's not perfect, but I love Taylor and Griggs and The Brigadier and the Jellicoe Road and it's exactly what I needed to read this weekend. It's just a perfect little jewel of teenage moods and territory wars and the past bleeding into the present. I'll read it again.

Wendy Moore
Homeward Bound: Why Women are Embracing the New Domesticity
Emily Matchar
Help Thanks Wow: Three Essential Prayers
Anne Lamott
The Machinery of Life
David S. Goodsell
The Haunting of Hill House (Stephen King Horror Library)
Shirley Jackson