good english

to read makes our speaking English good.
Mama, Is It Summer Yet? - Nikki McClure This and All in a Day both came home with us thanks to Nikki McClure's instantly recognizable artwork -- I have been in love with her style for a long time and was excited to share these books with Peaches.

I'm just going to review them both together because every time we read one of them, we read the other one, too. The prose is simple and pretty: Summer is full of a boy asking if it's summer and his mom answering him, teaching him signs of the seasons. It's charming, although Peaches gets a little confused because there are so many "no" answers and she can't figure out the cue for "yes."

The other book, All in a Day, is an illustrated poem, although I didn't realize that until we were finished because the first part's stretched out over too many pages. It's a reflection on the potential each day has, and I love the last bit:

"The past is sailing off to sea, the future's fast asleep.
A day is all you have to be, it's all you get to keep."

We have a lot of fun looking through the illustrations in both books, finding hidden squirrels and giggling about silly chicken antics. Peaches told me the other night that she "had great reading with these books," and I think part of it is that she picks up on how much I enjoy them, but also they're just right for reading before bed: quiet and lovely without being dull.

Wendy Moore
Homeward Bound: Why Women are Embracing the New Domesticity
Emily Matchar
Help Thanks Wow: Three Essential Prayers
Anne Lamott
The Machinery of Life
David S. Goodsell
The Haunting of Hill House (Stephen King Horror Library)
Shirley Jackson