good english

to read makes our speaking English good.
Nocturnes - John Connolly Okay, fine, UNCLE. I don't want to finish this one, at all, and every time I think about picking it up I pick up a magazine or the internets instead, so I'm setting it aside.

I've read reviews of Nocturnes on Goodreads and a lot of people seem to think there are stronger stories than the opening story, "The Cancer Cowboy Rides," but I just hated that story so much that I don't even want to try to read the rest, especially since a number of reviews mention Connolly having some issues with writing women, which doesn't help ANYTHING.

Maybe it's not fair to decide not to read a collection of short stories based on one part of the collection, but the opening story tends to set the tone for the rest of the book, and I'm just not interested in going beyond "The Cancer Cowboy Rides." I can't articulate what I hated about it very well. I just know I didn't like it.

Wendy Moore
Homeward Bound: Why Women are Embracing the New Domesticity
Emily Matchar
Help Thanks Wow: Three Essential Prayers
Anne Lamott
The Machinery of Life
David S. Goodsell
The Haunting of Hill House (Stephen King Horror Library)
Shirley Jackson