good english

to read makes our speaking English good.
Love Wins: A Book About Heaven, Hell, And The Fate Of Every Person - Rob Bell I wrote this long review of Love Wins then set the review aside for a weekend. When I came back, I realized I had basically written a giant diary entry. My history with Christianity is complicated, let's leave it at that and move on to the actual book.

Obviously, a lot of readers will have a hard time being objective about a book with a subtitle like A Book About Heaven, Hell, and the Fate of Every Person Who Ever Lived, so I'm not going to pretend that I'm the best person to look toward for an unbiased review. I share most of Bell's beliefs and a hearty handful of the four stars I gave it are due to the fact that I think Love Wins tries to answer important questions -- questions that are especially important for someone from an IFB background -- and I tend to agree with most of Bell's conclusions.

However, his conclusions are drawn somewhat haphazardly. It can be difficult to understand some of his reasoning and I think his arguments could be stronger.

In case you haven't seen this book in person,
random sentences
are broken
as if the book
were a poem.

And the poetic line breaks came off as gimmicky, honestly, especially when there's already a non-standard font and unusual paragraph justification in the mix.

But the title is A+ -- the "love wins" part, I mean -- so bonus points for that.

Wendy Moore
Homeward Bound: Why Women are Embracing the New Domesticity
Emily Matchar
Help Thanks Wow: Three Essential Prayers
Anne Lamott
The Machinery of Life
David S. Goodsell
The Haunting of Hill House (Stephen King Horror Library)
Shirley Jackson