good english

to read makes our speaking English good.

A Moveable Feast

A Moveable Feast - Ernest Hemingway Okay, don't laugh, but "A Moveable Feast" is the first Hemingway I've ever read. I don't know what I was expecting but I had the vague idea it involved French food.

Actually, the book is a collection of stories about Hemingway's time in Paris, when he was just getting started in his writing career. He met a lot of recognizable people and wrote about them in here, and his anecdotes are interesting and insightful and, more often than not, FUNNY, which surprised me. I totally did not expect to lol while reading Hemingway, but I did, several times.

"A Moveable Feast" was also good for me, in a way, because I have a horrible time remembering who was around at the same time in the literary world. For example, I did not realize Ezra Pound and Hemingway could have run into each other in the street.

After I finished this book I felt like reading more Hemingway, but didn't have any on hand, so I started reading a bio of Zelda Fitzgerald, since "Feast" had mentioned the Fitzgeralds somewhat in depth. There are quite a few instances that are mentioned in both books, and I GREATLY enjoy recognizing scenes that Hemingway mentioned. It is not very often that I read a book that enriches something else I'm reading so directly. It's pretty awesome.

Wendy Moore
Homeward Bound: Why Women are Embracing the New Domesticity
Emily Matchar
Help Thanks Wow: Three Essential Prayers
Anne Lamott
The Machinery of Life
David S. Goodsell
The Haunting of Hill House (Stephen King Horror Library)
Shirley Jackson