good english

to read makes our speaking English good.

iDrakula

iDrakula - Bekka Black Dracula, with a twist: instead of being told through letters and diary entries and telegrams, Bekka Black's iDrakula is told through instant messages and emails and browser histories.

I borrowed this from my library because, honestly, it looked HILARIOUS. What is this, a new version of the "...and Zombies!" trend?

It's entertaining enough as a novelty, but because almost all of the modes of communication used in this version of the story are brief bursts of text, it feels very superficial. The reader doesn't get to know the characters beyond a few broad strokes, the feeling of dread that Dracula-proper brings on never really shows up in iDrakula (although the bounced emails are a nice touch), and once the action picks up, it's kind of hard to follow.

For a quick lolzy read, iDrakula is decent. It might even work as a CliffsNotes version of Dracula, but if this is the only version of Dracula you read, you're missing out on a lot of spooky goodness.

Wendy Moore
Homeward Bound: Why Women are Embracing the New Domesticity
Emily Matchar
Help Thanks Wow: Three Essential Prayers
Anne Lamott
The Machinery of Life
David S. Goodsell
The Haunting of Hill House (Stephen King Horror Library)
Shirley Jackson